I have been actively working in a few different corporate headquarters over the past 3 years, and there is one thing that I have recently noticed: ugly people don’t often get promoted. Do you believe this to be true?
Reasons Why the Ugly Stay at the Bottom
So, what is the real reason that the non-beautiful don’t often move up the ranks of the corporate world? Is it because the boss is shallow and only enjoys the company of those that are “beautiful”? Most of the time, this is a subconscious behavior, but I think it could be true.
While your boss may be a real jerk and is only interested in the blonde beauty across the hall, I think there’s more to it than that.
I was not always super attractive; I had acne on my face, neck, and even on my back! My physique was gangly at best, and I’ve had glasses since I was 8 years old. These features didn’t exactly make me feel beautiful in any way. Kids often made comments about my acne, and if I were the typical teenage kid, I would have shut myself off from the world and declared the whole experience a loss.
I think many people that are not naturally attractive become socially awkward and strange (for a lack of a better word). Later in life, their social skills develop some, but they still are not up to par with the surrounding managers and certainly not the top executives. Because of their lack-of-ability to communicate effectively, they are thought of at “task-fulfilling” employees and are never viewed as future leaders. Thus, the non-beautiful often remain at the bottom.
How to Climb From the Bottom
First of all, don’t expect this process to be easy. Those that have friendly faces will always have a leg-up on the competition – that’s just how it is in this world, and there’s no changing it.
As we age, there really isn’t that much difference between the bombshell of the past and the ogre of old. We all gain some wrinkles, lose our 6 packs, and might even lose our hair. With each passing year, the playing field gets more equal.
Really, the only difference between all of us later in life is our style, our physique, and our personal hygiene. Follow the tips below and you might just see yourself climb that corporate ladder after all (and earn that income you’ve always wanted)!
- Never let your hair get unruly. Make regular appointments and keep your hair looking nice.
- Dress with class. Don’t show up to the office in jeans and a sweatshirt. Show up dressed like an executive, and someday, you most likely will be.
- Speak up! You aren’t in elementary school anymore. If you have an idea, have some gumption and speak your mind. In the office, any idea is welcome – especially if it has potential!
- Take note of your odor. No one likes to smell your stink from 10 feet away. Every morning, make sure to deodorize and put on a nice fragrance.
- Slim down. Even the most unattractive face will get the elevator with an attractive body. You don’t need a 6-pack, just get yourself into the normal-weight category. If you’re obese, you’ll be thought of as lazy and most likely won’t advance in ranks.
Do you think it’s harder for non-attractive people to get to the top of a corporation? Can you think of anything else that might propel them toward their desired position?
photo by: Rachel Elaine.