Tomorrow is a national holiday to honor people that have served our country in one of the U.S. military branches. Serving in the military runs in my family since the American Revolution.
In recent history my grandfather, father, mother, two sons, stepson and yours truly have served in either the Navy, Army, or Air Force. My dad and stepson served in two different branches and that same stepson is currently in Afghanistan.
As you can imagine this holiday is meaningful to me. I appreciate that our government didn’t detract from the day by moving it to the 2nd Monday in November so everyone can have a three day weekend like other holidays. I wish more private employers would recognize the day and give employees the day off to participate in memorials.
Americans go through phases in remembering veterans and for many years it was only noted for retailers to have another sale. I’m happy to see that has changed since 9/11.
Although not expected by veterans a thank you is greatly appreciated. This year many retailers are stepping up and thanking Veterans with meals and gifts in addition to words. Call ahead to make sure it’ll be honored at your local store and take proof of service. Check Military Avenue for more offers.
1. Department of the Interior. All National Parks, Forests and monuments are free to Veteran’s on Wednesday.
2. Outback. Get a free beverage and blooming onion on the house at Outback Steakhouse.
3. Applebee’s. Applebee’s is offering a choice of six meals to veterans all day long.
4. Krispy Kreme. Veteran’s get a free doughnut of their choice at Krispy Kreme tomorrow.
5. Sam’s Club. Veteran’s with mobility issues can get a free Hugo folding cane at Sam’s Club. Quantities are limited so call ahead.
6. Knotts Berry Farm. Get free admission for a veteran and 1 guest all month through November 26th.
Thank you all these retailers for recognizing the service and sacrifice given by Veterans. To my fellow veterans, I am honored to be one of you.
Content © Bucksomeboomer 2009. All Rights Reserved.